Re: YDL2 install on a 4400 PPC?

Subject: Re: YDL2 install on a 4400 PPC?
From: Patrick Ladam (ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 17:57:33 MDT

"J. Tirrell" wrote:

> Old-world ROM machines can't boot from the YDL2 CD. These machines use
> BootX (instead of the New-world ROM system Yaboot), which means you need a
> Mac partition to bootstrap into Linux. (Actually, I understand there are
> ways to use some other booter that allows Old-world ROM machines to boot
> without the Mac partition, but they are not officially supported by YDL, I
> don't think). This is all covered on the YDL website.

I know all this but for the moment my problem is to have the YDL installer
starting on
this damn old 4400. The choice of the bootloader comes later on during the
install.
I have to substitute the default kernel on the CD by a kernel suitable for the
4400
but I don't know if this is sufficient (should I substitute the ramdisk_image
too?)
The problem is the installer does not have the suitable kernels for the 4400
basically.

ThanX

| Patrick LADAM                   |                               |
| Laboratoire CSSB                |     THE BIG BANG THEORY:      |
| UFR SMBH                        |                               |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin            |   In the begining there was   |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX             |        nothing at all.        |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<<             |                               |
| ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr |      Then, it exploded...     |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85     |                               |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77             |                               |