YDL 2.0 and 4400 PPC - problem with XFree

Subject: YDL 2.0 and 4400 PPC - problem with XFree
From: Patrick Ladam (ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 18:37:27 MDT

Hi folks,

Just installed YDL 2.0 on a 4400 PPC, the install went OK but now we

are facing a problem with the X settings.

First, when linux loads (text mode) the screen is OK until the TUX

icon appears. Then the screen flashes and becomes all garbled with

lines we can barely read.

Then when running startx, the desktop appears (all garbled also) and

freezes as soon as the KDE tip window appears.

We tried several settings for XF86Config which did not work.

Different options in BootX (no video driver, video=atyfb:vmode:...:cmode:...)

did not work either.

Neither Xconfigurator with different custom or simple settings did help.

Should we upgrade the kernel to 2.4 or try Xpmac by K. Hendricks

(I could not locate Xpmac_rev10 or newer anywhere on the web) to have a

correct display?

We're almost there but still we are stuck with this X problem.

I read exactly the same story in the june 2001 general mail-list

with a 6500 but no answer seemed to be found...

Hope someone can help...

Bye

| Patrick LADAM | |
| Laboratoire CSSB | THE BIG BANG THEORY: |
| UFR SMBH | |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin | In the begining there was |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX | nothing at all. |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<< | |
| ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr | Then, it exploded... |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85 | |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77 | |