MiBoot on a 7200

Subject: MiBoot on a 7200
From: pete (pete@linuxfreemail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 17:40:02 MDT

I installed Yellow Dog 2.0 on my PowerMac 7200/90 (with stock 540 MB hard
disk.) Since I wanted to keep as much HD space as possible available for
Linux, I only made a 10 MB HFS partition, thinking I could use MiBoot
instead of BootX. BootX is working fine, but it's on a 2nd SCSI drive that I
need to return to its owner.

When using MiBoot, it boots fine into Linux (as far as I can tell - it gets
to a login prompt, at least), but the the keyboard is not recognized
properly - all the keys map to the wrong characters.

I tried swapping the kernel file BootX uses onto the MiBoot partition, but
no dice - all I get on startup is a little penguin in the middle of the
screen, and he doesn't go away.

(Inspecting the two kernel files in BBEdit, I don't find this too
surprising; they look nothing alike, and one is 877 KB to the other's 2.3
MB.)

Does anyone know how to patch the MiBoot kernel to properly recognize the
Apple ADB keyboard on the 7200? Or how to address this problem in some other
way? MiBoot documentation on the web seems pretty slim...

Thanks...
-Pete