Re: mount points for my mac HD

Subject: Re: mount points for my mac HD
From: Sean O. Denney (sdenney@cise.ufl.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 19:51:44 MDT

first, you'll need to lookup the exact partition of the Mac HFS
partition (remember not HFS+ ... although it's being looked into since
the Darwin source has HFS+ support).

Use pdisk to find this information. It's very easy and
straight-forward. Make sure that you are root while doing all of
this.

% pdisk

Then type P, it will print out the partition tables for all recognized
devices. Look for the partition number on the drive that says "Apple
HFS". Write down (on a piece of paper) the device and partition
number (e.g. /dev/hde9).

Now, you'll need to select and create a mount point within your
directory tree. I suggest /mnt/macos for two reasons. The first, that
Mac-on-Linux recognizes that mount point by default, and secondly for
legacy reasons.

% cd /mnt
% ls -al

If it lists macos as a directory. then nothing else need to be done.
if it does not exist:

% mkdir macos

Next, you have two options to mount the partition in question: 1. You
can manually mount it; or 2. You can have it auto-mounted at boot
time. Before automounting, make sure that it will work by doing a
manual mounting once:

To manually mount it, do the following:

% mount -t hfs -o {r|ro|rw} /dev/xxxx /mnt/macos

The option after -o is whether you want read-write access with your
HFS partition. I prefer to use "ro" (read-only) so I don't screw up
my HFS partition. Nowadays, writing to the HFS partition usually
won't screw thingss up, but I started using PPC Linux long ago when
mounting the HFS partition as read-write was very bad. The xxxx is
the device and partition number you wrote down earlier.

Then

% cd /mnt/macos
% ls -al

You should see a listing of the files and directories at the root
level of the MacOS HFS partition. You'll also see all the invisible
files as well as the visible files... DON'T MESS WITH THESE FILES!!

To automatically mount the partiton at bootup, do the following:

% pico /etc/fstab

Then add the following line, making sure to use tabs where necessary,
and spaces when tabs won't work (NOTE: LINE THINGS UP).

/dev/xxxx /mnt/macos hfs ro 0 0

The hit Control-O to save the document, then Control-X to quit pico.
Then reboot the machine.

As for making them KDE desktop icons, just use the KDE file manager
and drag the /mnt/macos directory to the KDE desktop.

Good luck
--- Sean