Re: Compiling RTL82139 module?

Subject: Re: Compiling RTL82139 module?
From: Sean O. Denney (sdenney@cise.ufl.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 06:17:21 MDT

First of all, make sure that you installed the kernel-source RPMS.
Secondly, make sure that /usr/include/linux/version.h exists. If not,
do the following:

% cd /usr/src/linux ; make include/linux/version.h

Then

%cd /usr/src/modules

You may have to mkdir the modules directory. Once you are inside that
directory, copy the rtl8139.c file to /usr/src/modules. Then

% gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 \
-c rtl8139.c '[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo \
-DMODVERSIONS'

% install -m 644 rtl8139.o /lib/modules/'uname -r'/net/

Then edit /etc/conf.modules and add

alias eth0 rtl8139

Then reboot the machine. To activate the NIC card:

% ifconfig eth0 up

Then use netconfig to set up the DNS, IP, etc. (You can also use
DHCP).

--- Sean