Re: Ethernet/DHCP

Subject: Re: Ethernet/DHCP
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 17:54:37 MDT

At 3:11 PM -0700 7/13/01, Bryn Hughes wrote:
>Hi Tom,
>
>This isn't quite the 'right' way to do it, but it does work:
>
>go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
>
>Open ifup with your favorite editor

[...]

>You can set the variable $DHCPHOSTNAME to be your connect ID. I was only
>able to get it working by defining the variable inside the ifup script
>itself (in fact I just replaced $DHCPHOSTNAME with my actual client ID).

A somewhat more 'right' (actually probably this is right) way is to
put the setting for DHCPHOSTNAME in the config file for the network
card you want to set up as a DHCP client. The config files are:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-interfacename

where "interfacename" is eth0, eth1, ppp0, etc. ifup already
supports reading DHCPHOSTNAME as well as all the other settings from
the ifcfg- files.

   Tim Seufert