XF86Config Issue.

Subject: XF86Config Issue.
From: Brian Durant (bdurant@peterlink.ru)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 11:57:33 MDT

Hi again,

I have a question about entering monitor resolutions in "advanced" mode in
Yellow Dog Linux on a UMAX Pulsar. Yes, I am determined to get this to work,
and yes I know that the Pulsar isn't support. However, everything seems to
work fine in the install, but I keep getting hung up on monitor resolution.
There is no test mode as in many Linux flavors and something doesn't work
right with the video card (Matrox Millennium) and monitor (Apple Multiple
Scan 15AV Display) combination. In Mac OS 9.1, the monitor resolution is
usually set at 832x624 resolution at 75Hz, but settings show that I also
could set it at 832x624 resolution at 85Hz, 800x600 resolution at 85Hz,
1024x768 resolution at 60, 67, 74.9 or 85Hz or at 640x480 resolution at 60
or 85Hz.

I have the alternative of creating monitor prefs in YDL in advanced mode,
but I admit that I don't fully understand it. In advanced mode, I am
required to fill in a cluster of numbers, four for horizontal resolution and
a cluster of four numbers for vertical resolution. If we take my default
resolution in OS 9.1, this would look like this:

Horizontal resolution: 832 000 000 000 (they can also be 4 digit #'s)
Vertical resolution: 624 000 000 000

The first number is the resolution in pixels, where as the second and third
represent sync pulse, while the fourth represents frame length or border
width. I may also need to know the dot clock resolution and refresh rate
(requires X dot clocks). According to the manual it is multiple scan,
resolution range 640 x 480 to 1024 x 768 and with a 0.28 mm dot pitch, but
is dot pitch the same as dot clock?

The problem is that I do not know where to get the information I need to
fill in the other numbers for horizontal and vertical rez, as well as dot
clock (should I need it) for a Apple Multiple Scan 15AV Display.

Help, please! I have been working off and on with this issue for a month
now!

Cheers,

Brian