2.4.7-pre6 kernel time problems

Subject: 2.4.7-pre6 kernel time problems
From: r may (mayro@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1969 - 21:10:42 MST

Either this kernel time traveled on me or I have a slight problem. My guess is that it's a problem.
After compileing and booting this kernel my clock get set back to Wed Dec 31 23:01:19 EST 1969. I haven't changed anything in my kernel configuration that I havent changed before. How can I fix this. I cannot figure out how to set time and date on linux. If I boot into macos or an older kernel 2.4.4 the clock works is set correctly.
-robert