Re: 2.4.7-pre6 kernel time problems

Subject: Re: 2.4.7-pre6 kernel time problems
christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 11:29:51 MDT

On Wed, 31 Dec 1969, r may wrote:
>Either this kernel time traveled on me or I have a slight problem. My
>guess is that it's a problem. After compileing and booting this kernel
>my clock get set back to Wed Dec 31 23:01:19 EST 1969. I haven't
>changed anything in my kernel configuration that I havent changed
>before. How can I fix this. I cannot figure out how to set time and
>date on linux.

 Use date (man date) to set the system time, and clock (man clock) to set
the hardware clock. You can also use rdate (man rdate) to set your clock
to an external server:

example: rdate -s ntp1.cs.mcgill.ca

then use clock -w to set the hardware clock.

 For some strange reason, when I just tried this on a newly installed
machine, I got 'pmac_set_rtc_time: got 0 byte reply', which is really
strange as I have done this in the past. Anyway, hopefully this won't
happen to you and it should work properly.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada