Re: ibook2 modem

Subject: Re: ibook2 modem
From: gideon (rush@charlie.cns.iit.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 08:02:24 MDT

Graham Leggett wrote:

> gideon wrote:
>

>>Oh can SOMEONE tell me how I can get this bloody internal modem working.
>>I'm on an ibook2 booting with yaboot. I managed to get X working but
>>I've got no dialup
>>the modem is recognized under ttyS0. But no matter what, no dial out.
>>Any othe distoros
>>work? I don't care about sound. But I need my modem. -thanks
>>

> What have you done so far to make it work? Without info we cannot really
> help you.
>
> Make sure your dialup program is trying to connect to the right device.
> Usually there is a symbolic link called /dev/modem that points to your
> modem device, in your case /dev/ttyS0.
>
> Regards,
> Graham

Hmmm, maybe a better question would be "has anyone gone through the
installation process and been able to use their modem?"

I installed acording to the instructions for "NewWorld ROM systems: yaboot"

when I was done I got a horizontal "split" screen. I managed to play
around with Xconfigure to get past this in X.

I try to use ppp to dial out via my modem and the machine tells me
"modem not found"

however the system tells me from the command line that the modem is on
ttyS0.

So I'm stuck.

Has anyone gone through the installation per instructions and have their
modem work without hacking on their own?