boot problems revisited...

Subject: boot problems revisited...
From: perry phillips (pm_perry@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 17:12:51 MDT

Hi All,

re: G3 PB pismo, partitioned drive-- boot problem

Back at it again after a hard drive failure. New hard drive works
fine and YDL was installed and working briefly before the bootloader
decided to quit.

This is baffling. If I restart holding down the "option" key, the
icon for various hard drives comes up, including YDL. But after some
wait, a choice to boot from the YDL partition leads immediately to a
dead black screen.

The program "Make Disks Visible" doesn't work for this.

 From OF, I've tried:

setenv boot-device hd:11,ofboot,b
reset-all

But that did not change the situation.

I'm NOT running OS X; I haven't done a hard reset. I really have no
explanation for why it +was+ working and then not.

I +can+ go into OF and "boot hd:11,\\yaboot" but that is a hassle.
It does, however, allow me to edit configuration files (or whatever)
to get this working again. (Without a re-install)

What is the likely culprit here and how to fix it?

thanks,
perry