Re: How to install YDL 2.0 on an RS/6000

Subject: Re: How to install YDL 2.0 on an RS/6000
From: Leigh Brown (leigh@solinno.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 01:51:47 MDT

Hollis,

> > (snip procedure)
> You're right, that does sound awful. :)
>
> Actually, the Install CD should be bootable on CHRP machines. I believe the 140 can be either
> CHRP or PReP, but you should be able to find details about that on the IBM PPC Linux page
> (email me privately if you need more). If you can boot it as a CHRP, please let us know how it
> goes... I don't think anyone's attempted it yet.
I don't think the 140 can be "configured" to be CHRP. The chipset allows it to switch
from a PReP to a CHRP memory map - this is what the custom kernel does. I certainly
can't make it boot from the CD, anyway.

> If you do need a custom kernel (I believe 140 support is experimental?), try using the .config
> in the YDL kernel-source rpm's. I can supply you with these privately if you have a hard time
> getting at them.
I shouldn't have any problem getting these. My only problem is I only get to play on
my 140 at the weekends, as I work away from home at the moment.

> (Unfortunately the CD's are not bootable on PReP or ANS machines, which pretty much forces
> them into the floppy route. That's a particularly bad solution; I wouldn't recommend trying
> it.)
Its not a bad solution, its just very painful, and I'm confident it _does_ work.
As I said in my post, if I'd compiled USB into my custom kernel, the installer
would have got a bit further. Anyway, I've now produced a kernel patch that
allows a compressed ramdisk to span multiple floppies. This will allow those
who can't boot from the CD-ROM to put the inital ramdisk on 3 floppies instead
of 12!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Leigh.

PS Surely you should be saying "The pain is worth it to get YDL"!