Re: ibook2 modem

Subject: Re: ibook2 modem
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 03:12:10 MDT

gideon wrote:

> I just reinstalled YDL with a more updated cd (bought another one)
>
> I boot up.
>
> from the "start" menu i go to start/internet/dialup configuration
>
> the "creat a new internet connection" wizard comes up.
>
> "you don't appear to have a modem configured..."
>
> "no modems were detected on your system"

I usually just configure these by hand, so I;ve never used the wizard -
however it's almost certain that YDL is trying to find a modem on
/dev/modem, and not finding one.

> I just looked in /dev for "modem"
> and didn't find it. I did find ttyS0.

There are tonnes of files in the /dev directory that match ttyS*, so
it's not necessarily true - but ti's a reasonable assumption that
/dev/ttyS0 is the modem. On my powerbook ttyS0 is the modem, and ttyS1
is the IrDA.

> So I guess now my question is...how do i get my modem recognized?

Try this:

cd /dev
ln -s ttyS0 modem

And run the modem-finding-wizard again.