Re: kernel 2.4.4 upgrade ???

Subject: Re: kernel 2.4.4 upgrade ???
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 03:16:45 MDT

Scott Frankel wrote:

> Anyone out there running the 2.4.4 kernel? What pro's vs. con's might
> I encounter if I upgrade from 2.2.19 on a PowerBook "Pismo" G3?
>
> Next, how does one upgrade from the YDL2.0 default install to
> 2.4.4. Bonus points for procedures that don't require reformtting
> my drive ;)

I compiled my own version of 2.4.4 (and then 2.4.6), pointed yaboot at
it and booked up, and everything just worked, although the RPM should
work too.

If you read the 2.4 kernel docs it will list packages that need to be
updated. Just make sure that these packages are updated on your system
(there are only a few of them) you will be fine.

Keep your 2.2 kernel handy as a backup should something go wrong. I've
configured yaboot to load 2.4.6 for "Linux24", and 2.2.18 for "Linux",
although it's a long time since I've used the 2.2 kernel. If you're
using RPM copy the old kernel to a safe place - the upgrade will
probably kill your old kernel.

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon