Review of YDL 2 on Slashdot

Subject: Review of YDL 2 on Slashdot
From: Sean O. Denney (sdenney@cise.ufl.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 08:16:42 MDT

Well everyone,

It looks as if YDL 2 has gotten a review on /. I think it's a pretty
good review, except the comparison between the G4/500, the PIII/800
and the Athlon/1.2. The comparison they made was on kernel
compilation and mp3 encoding.

The flaw with this guys review was that he thought because RISC runs
more efficiently and faster than CISC that compiling would be faster.
Compiling for RISC is always slower because the instructions have to
be broken down into smaller sizes (32-bit) rather then the variable
size of x86 instructions.

The flaw with mp3 encoding is that Altivec plays a major role on MacOS
(iTunes), but none of the mp3 ripping software under Linux use Altivec
(gcc hasn't been updated for use with Altivec).

But other than his architecture comparison, he hits the head on the
nail with YDL 2. (However, my personal experience isn't so great. I
can't get YDL 2 to work with my 6400/200, ATI Rage 128, and my
Performa Display. Works fine with YDL 1.2)

--- Sean