Re: How to install YDL 2.0 on an RS/6000

Subject: Re: How to install YDL 2.0 on an RS/6000
From: Hollis (hollis-lists@austin.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 17:56:37 MDT

On Wednesday 18 July 2001 02:51, Leigh Brown wrote:

> > > (snip procedure)
> >
> > You're right, that does sound awful. :)
> >
> > Actually, the Install CD should be bootable on CHRP machines. I believe
> > the 140 can be either CHRP or PReP, but you should be able to find
> > details about that on the IBM PPC Linux page (email me privately if you
> > need more). If you can boot it as a CHRP, please let us know how it
> > goes... I don't think anyone's attempted it yet.
>
> I don't think the 140 can be "configured" to be CHRP. The chipset allows
> it to switch from a PReP to a CHRP memory map - this is what the custom
> kernel does. I certainly can't make it boot from the CD, anyway.

Hmm... when I booted AIX on a 40P I have here and stumbled into some sort of
control panel, it had a setting to switch from PReP to CHRP mapping. Perhaps
there's an interface to that in the firmware? I didn't know the kernel could
switch the memory map, but I never looked into it that much either.

> > (Unfortunately the CD's are not bootable on PReP or ANS machines, which
> > pretty much forces them into the floppy route. That's a particularly bad
> > solution; I wouldn't recommend trying it.)
>
> Its not a bad solution, its just very painful, and I'm confident it _does_
> work.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it as an insult... I'm sure it does work, I'm just
saying I would never trust the integrity of 12 floppy disks (or one used 12
times ;). To say nothing of the speed... :(

> As I said in my post, if I'd compiled USB into my custom kernel, the
> installer would have got a bit further. Anyway, I've now produced a kernel
> patch that allows a compressed ramdisk to span multiple floppies. This
> will allow those who can't boot from the CD-ROM to put the inital ramdisk
> on 3 floppies instead of 12!

Ah nice! There was such a patch a long time ago... but it never went into the
kernel and breaks anything recent. Please submit it to Linus and see how it
goes...

> PS Surely you should be saying "The pain is worth it to get YDL"!

Yes of course. :)

-Hollis