Re: YDL 2.0 on RS/6000

Subject: Re: YDL 2.0 on RS/6000
From: Leigh Brown (leigh@solinno.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 01:59:40 MDT

Steve,

> I have tried to install YDL 2.0 on an RS/6000.
What model are you using?

> My method was a little different but saved me 12 diskettes.
>
> I firsty installed YDL 1.2 on the machine and created a Linux
> Native partition on a disk. mine is /dev/sda4. I created it
> to be 100MB big. I then unzipped the ramdisk-text.image.gz
> file and wrote it out to /dev/sda4 using the dd command.
> Under YDL 1.2 I could mount /dev/sda4 and it looked good.
>
> I then tried rebooting with the following command
>
> boot floppy:,\zimage root=/dev/sda4 load_ramdisk=1 noinitrd
This is a good alternative if you can spare a partition. I
had tried this but couldn't get it to work, but that may have
been because I was still trying to use a compressed ramdisk
image at the time.

> This fails with the same error that you metioned. It could not
> mount /proc/usb.
Which kernel are you using? I have a 7043-140 and therefore I
have to use a custom kernel, but if you are using one of the
kernels that comes with YDL then you shouldn't have any
difficulties (because the USB functionality should be built
into the kernel).

> This is as far as I could go. I am not real good at compiling
> kernels. (do you know of a monkey see, monkey do intructions
> on this somewhere on the web).
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

Unless you have a weird RS/6000 (like me :-( ), you shouldn't
need to compile your own.

Cheers,

Leigh.