Re: SMC Ethernet

Subject: Re: SMC Ethernet
From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup999@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 13:18:29 MDT

The only card which will work (which do not have a '?' in the RedHat
compatibility list) are the 8432 (EtherPower 10 PCI) and the 9332
(EtherPower 10/100 PCI)

They use the de4x5.o driver which should be in compiled form somewhere on
your Linux partition, usually under
/lib/modules/<kernelversion>/net/de4x5.o.

All you need to do is to insert it into /etc/modules.conf - add lines like:

alias eth1 de4x5
alias eth2 de4x5

to the file - then, reboot.

Of course, you can do an insmod de4x5.o before you make the changes to see
if it works. You should be able to see the card's MAC address, using
ifconfig eth1 for example. If not, the driver doesn't work.

Please substitute eth1/eth2 with what ever you have. I just assume you have
them as those two, since the Mac already has a built-in Ethernet port and I
assume (again) that this one will get eth0 assigned.

Best regards,
Chris