Re: I have an iBook 2001, Why wont YDL See My Modem?

Subject: Re: I have an iBook 2001, Why wont YDL See My Modem?
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 01:36:40 MDT

Thomas Leonard wrote:

> The website says my computer is supported so why wont Dialup Config (or W/e
> its called) see my modem when I click auto configure? How can I get it to
> see my modem ( I ask this because no one knew the answer to my airport
> question)

This is most likely because YDL is looking in the wrong place for your
modem. Most devices on your machine are accessed through special files
in the /dev directory - thus, each device has a "filename" associated
with it. Point at the wrong filename, and the device won't be found.

Usually most of the dialup software by default tries to find a modem
called /dev/modem, however usually your modem will be on /dev/ttyS0.
Create a symbolic link to /dev/modem like this:

cd /dev
ln -s ttyS0 modem

For some off reason this symlink isn't created during the install...

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street