Re: yaboot.conf details for Triple Boot?

Subject: Re: yaboot.conf details for Triple Boot?
From: perry phillips (pm_perry@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 08:49:19 MDT

Hi All,

I don't think any boot option has worked for me flawlessly for long.
Yaboot is not exactly being bypassed by "restart +option"; I don't
think there's any way to get to YDL to boot on a new world system
without Yaboot. (By choosing the icon with the penguin on restart
+option, you are ultimately choosing yaboot and not tbxi. But
ofboot,b somehow plays an intermediary role for yaboot from Open
Firmware?)

 From the Open Firmware prompt, the "printenv" command gives some
clues about all this. ("words" will give you a list of Forth
commands.)

My earlier message about booting to Mac OS from OF was slightly off,
the correct command (which I just tested) is "boot hd:,\\:tbxi" --
although I'm not sure about the implications of this for having OS X
on one partition & 9 on another... I suppose you simply would
specify the partition, but I'm not set up to test that.

On the other hand, I don't see how Yaboot has anything to do with
booting to Mac OS. These issues have to do with Open Firmware
operations and I don't recall reading a thorough explanation of the
full dual boot procedure on this list. Most of what I know has come
from reading TN1061, TN1062, TN1044 which have to do with the basics
of Open Firmware --
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1061.html
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1062.html
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1044.html
  and so on. But that info has not helped me to figure out why the
YDL bootloader works with intermittent success. There is some
parameter I need to try to reset in order to revive my YDL
bootloader, I just haven't had time to test my theories about why
"setenv boot-device hd:XX,ofboot,b"
"reset-all"
didn't work for me...

  For New World systems, I have experienced all 4 comical
possibilities: 1) You can boot to YDL from the bootloader (and also
'option at restart', and also from OF); 2) Your bootloader doesn't
work, but 'option at restart' and booting from OF still work; 3) The
bootloader doesn't work, nor does 'option at restart', but you can
still boot from OF; and 4) YDL is not bootable.

regards,
perry phillips

(to get the OF prompt: option +command+ "o" + "f" at restart).