Re: YDL Instaltion Woes

Subject: Re: YDL Instaltion Woes
From: Andrei Verovski (andrei.verovski@parks.lv)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 10:02:24 MDT

>>install I put the memory back in. Another hint. You must allocate
>>at least as
>>much space in the swap partition as you have RAM, and preferably
>>2-3X more. If
>>not, when YDL crashes, it overwrites both the root directory and the boot
>>partition. A real pain.
>
>Hi,
> More to the point, the 2.4 series of the kernel _require_ a
>minimum of twice RAM allocated as SWAP. There has been some talk on
>the kernel mailing list of removing this requirement I believe, but
>the requirement is real for now. It's a good rule of thumb anyway.

Hi,

Neither is true. In fact, you can run Linux without swap partition at
all. I had used SuSE Linux 7.0 and 7.1 on both PCs and Mac (iBook
Indigo), with 128, then 320 MB of RAM and only 96 MB swap partition
(2.2.18, 2.2.19, 2.4.2, 2.4.6 kernels).

Right now I am running SuSE Linux 7.1 PPC from the single ReiserFS
partition (with 2.4.2 kernel) on iBook FireWire Indigo (Summer 2000
model, 6 GB HFS+ for MacOS, 32 MB HFS /macboot, 3 GB ReiserFS /, 96 MB
/swap, 320 MB RAM), and it work great - fast and reliable (including MOL).

There are absolutely NO reasons to have a large swap on the machine with
large amount of RAM unless there are no thousands of spawned processes
(usually on very busy servers).

I believe problem with crashing occur because something is wrong either
with setup, either binaries like kernel or glibc (binaries generated by
gcc 3.0 might be a culprit). Yellow Dog is derived from the Red Hat, and
the last often have been criticized for using bleeding-edge software for
sacrifice of reliability.

PS. At first, try to use SuSE PPC kernel branch, either 2.4.2 either
2.4.6, see my web site for more details.

* Best Regards --- Andrei Verovski *
* e-mail --- andrei.verovski@bigfoot.com *
* *
* Personal Home Page *
* http://homepage.mac.com/macgurutemple/ *
* Mac, Linux, DTP, Development, IT WEB Site *