Re: yaboot.conf details for Triple Boot?

Subject: Re: yaboot.conf details for Triple Boot?
From: Richard Brock (r.brock@snet.net)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 09:34:49 MDT

On Saturday, July 21, 2001, at 10:49 AM, perry phillips wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I don't think any boot option has worked for me flawlessly for long.
> Yaboot is not exactly being bypassed by "restart +option"; I don't
> think there's any way to get to YDL to boot on a new world system
> without Yaboot.

My iMac DV SE 600MHz machine is certainly a new World machine. And
using restart+option I'm able to boot YDL successfully every time. I
believe the solution lies in which Operating system is installed when.
I installed, for example, OS 9.1 first, YDL second and OS X third. (All
on seperate partitions) I think, but I'm not entirely sure, that OS X
overwrites anything yaboot does - in Open Firmware. Thus, the Open
Firmware graphical interface I get at boot time (restart+option)

> (By choosing the icon with the penguin on restart +option, you are
> ultimately choosing yaboot and not tbxi. But ofboot,b somehow plays an
> intermediary role for yaboot from Open Firmware?)

I don't see how choosing the icon with the penguin is ultimately
choosing yaboot. When I click on the YDL icon at boot time I boot
directly into YDL. Yaboot appears nowhere.

> From the Open Firmware prompt, the "printenv" command gives some clues
> about all this. ("words" will give you a list of Forth commands.)
>
> My earlier message about booting to Mac OS from OF was slightly off,
> the correct command (which I just tested) is "boot hd:,\\:tbxi" --
> although I'm not sure about the implications of this for having OS X on
> one partition & 9 on another... I suppose you simply would specify the
> partition, but I'm not set up to test that.
>
> On the other hand, I don't see how Yaboot has anything to do with
> booting to Mac OS. These issues have to do with Open Firmware
> operations and I don't recall reading a thorough explanation of the
> full dual boot procedure on this list. Most of what I know has come
> from reading TN1061, TN1062, TN1044 which have to do with the basics of
> Open Firmware -- http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1061.html
> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1062.html
> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1044.html
> and so on. But that info has not helped me to figure out why the YDL
> bootloader works with intermittent success. There is some parameter I
> need to try to reset in order to revive my YDL bootloader, I just
> haven't had time to test my theories about why
> "setenv boot-device hd:XX,ofboot,b"
> "reset-all"
> didn't work for me...
>
> For New World systems, I have experienced all 4 comical possibilities:
> 1) You can boot to YDL from the bootloader (and also 'option at
> restart', and also from OF); 2) Your bootloader doesn't work, but
> 'option at restart' and booting from OF still work; 3) The bootloader
> doesn't work, nor does 'option at restart', but you can still boot from
> OF; and 4) YDL is not bootable.
>
> regards,
> perry phillips
>
> (to get the OF prompt: option +command+ "o" + "f" at restart).
>
>> You can bypass yaboot entirely and choose which OS to boot by holding
>> down the Option key at startup and entering Open Firmware. This is the
>> method I use and it works flawlessly everytime.
>>
>> On Saturday, July 21, 2001, at 01:21 AM, Ted Goranson wrote:
>>
>>> Friends--
>>>
>>> I am having trouble getting straight how I need to edit my
>>> yaboot.conf file for a triple boot. My hda assignments are:
>>>
>>> hda9 for OS 9.1
>>> hda10 for OS X
>>> hda11 for linux boot
>>> hda13 for linux
>>>
>>> I've seen conflicting advice on whether the new macosx line should be
>>> followed by a number or not. The rough form of the interesting part
>>> looks like this:
>>>
>>> boot=/dev/hda11
>>> macos=/dev/hda9