Re: YDL Instaltion Woes

Subject: Re: YDL Instaltion Woes
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 14:53:18 MDT

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:

> At 6:02 PM +0200 7/21/01, Andrei Verovski wrote:
>
> >There are absolutely NO reasons to have a large swap on the machine with
> >large amount of RAM unless there are no thousands of spawned processes
> >(usually on very busy servers).
>
> Linux 2.4 VM *will* work better if you have more swap than RAM. 2x
> is not an absolute rule, it's just a good default starting point.

<snip>

Indeed - some applications allocate -gobs- of address space (so they don't
have to do it later, lazy bastards) but don't actually use it. I wonder if
that fits into this argument.

Note that this -isn't-, by itself, a reason to have an enormous swap
partition ... you can use swap files, too.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net