Re: yaboot.conf details for Triple Boot?

Subject: Re: yaboot.conf details for Triple Boot?
From: Ted Goranson (tedg@infi.net)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 15:05:52 MDT

At 11:36 PM -0700 7/20/01, perry phillips wrote:
>Why do I have the feeling that more info about this (and similar
>problems) should be posted as part of some long YDL FAQ and/or
>HOWTO? People on this list have come up with all sorts of clever
>solutions to difficult technical problems and I don't get the sense
>that the information is being assembled in a searchable database.

I appreciate the situation that Terrasoft is in, and want to keep my
expectations reasonable, but It would seem that they are not
sufficiently leveraging the old FAQ mechanism.

More about my own triple-boot configuration (new world G3 Pismo). I
learned the hard way that a temporarily stable, workable triple boot
configuration requires separate partitions (HFS+ okay) for OSX and
9.1, AND that OSX must be installed BEFORE YDL. The X installation
screws the boot mechanism somehow.

As it stands now, I have a perfectly tolerable situation with
option-boot which produces all three options for when I want to
access X (or four options if bootable CD is present). yaboot boot is
fine for Linux and OS 9.1, using "l" and "m" respectively. From
Option-boot and selecting Linux you are fed to yaboot.

I haven't messed with open firmware at all.

Warning: this state is fragile. One thing known to break it is
changing the startup disk in 9.1 from 9.1 to X. This produces an
unfixable condition for this novice.

Best, Ted

--
Ted Goranson