setenv boot-device hd:XX,ofboot.b

Subject: setenv boot-device hd:XX,ofboot.b
From: perry phillips (pm_perry@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 17:29:11 MDT

Well, this actually came up on this list once before and someone said
the comma worked for them so I had assumed it made no difference.
Indeed the command with comma did seem to do +something+, but it
never fixed the problem. (i.e., "setenv boot-device hd:XX,ofboot,b")

But I was pleasantly shocked to find that substituting a period for
the comma actually restored the bootloader on my G3 pismo!

Tim: thanks for this suggestion! I considered the period/comma
debate a dead issue and was spending more and more time obsessing on
ybin and Open Firmware details.

For anyone who wants to come back and say the comma also works, I
tried it it 4 times without success. If someone succeeded using the
comma, I have no explanation for wacky stuff like this.

I noticed in ybin it is "ofboot.b"--but hey, the comma worked for
someone and it was verbatim advice from Dan Burcaw @ TS.

Still hoping someone will give a crude overview of the order of boot
call procedures...

regards,
perry