Re: Mac On Linux question

Subject: Re: Mac On Linux question
From: Black (cpa@ece.cmu.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 21:06:07 MDT

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Ben Cheng wrote:

> Was following the Mac On Linux setup instructions that come at the
> end of the Guide to Installing YDL2.0 manual and have a question
> about the following line:
>
> cp /mnt/macos/System Folder/"Mac OS ROM" /usr/lib/mol/rom/rom.nw
>
> My System Folder doesn't seem to have a "Mac OS ROM." What is it and
> where should it have come from?
>
> -Ben

The Mac OS ROM file comes in the newer versions of the MacOS (>8.6 I
believe...). For an exstensive discussion of what it is and why it
appeared, http://www.turbolinux.com/~brad/mol/ has a pretty good
discussion about it.

If you go to the Mac on Linux home page (http://www.maconlinux.com), you
will find more data about it. Since it isn't in your system folder, you
will need to find one to use. The MOL website has a tool you can download
that will extract it from your system installer files. I had my Mac system
install disks stolen, so I had to go to Apple's site and download the 8.6
Update and extract it from there instead.

A side note... The two above web sites say you have to use a strip_nwrom
tool on the ROM file (which is something not included in the YDL notes).
Well, I noticed that the YDL MOL RPM (how is that for a sequence of
acronyms...) didn't include the tool. My initial attempt to get MOL to
work failed, so I thought it might be because I didn't strip the ROM. So,
I went through allk sorts of hoops to get the strip_nwrom tool installed.
This turned out to be a mistake. My problems seem to ahve stemed from not
having enough RAM, and stripping the ROM madde it unrecognizable. So, it
would seem that the YDL folks tweaked the MOL package so that this step
is no longer nessacery...

-Christopher