Re: More installation issues

Subject: Re: More installation issues
From: John Canning (john@pcc.com )
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 00:03:54 MDT

On Sun Jul 22 01:49:04 2001 John Norair wrote:

> I've read most of the messages regarding installation difficulty, but I
> haven't seen one posing my question. When try to install, I get a
> segmentation fault at the end of the installation. OK, so I presumed
> everything was OK since I apparently set up everything before I got the
> segmentation fault.
>
> When I boot up, everything seems OK except that sda7 fails to mount,
> which I believe is my bootloader. Shouldn't be an issue though, since
> I'm on a 7500 with bootx. I'm pretty sure that my swap is on 8.

I don't think you want to have your bootloader mounted as a file system.
If I'm wrong, I hope someone corrects me so that I update my brain... :)

> Next, I am given access when I log in. Cool. It's Bash. At this point
> I'm wondering if I did or didn't select the developer package with
> kde/gnome. Since I've never used linux with a gui before, I'm kind of
> at a loss in what I should be looking for or doing. I don't even know
> if everything is set up or not.

You can type startx to launch X windows. If you want your machine to
launch a graphical interface everytime you reboot, you will need to
edit /etc/inittab so that your machine boots in X11 mode instead of
multi-user mode. Being a long time Linux user, I prefer the console
style login rather than the graphical one (in other words, my Linux
machine remains in full multi-user mode rather than X11 mode).

John