misery with install on Wallstreet Powerbook G3/466/DVD

Subject: misery with install on Wallstreet Powerbook G3/466/DVD
From: Michael Carlson (mcarlson@speakeasy.net)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 14:36:50 MDT

Hello all,

I'm hoping one or more folks will have a few insights to offer me. I have been trying unsuccessfully to install YDL 2.0 on my Wallstreet Powerbook G3/466/DVD since I first downloaded the ISO and burned a copy three weeks ago. Just to make sure, I downloaded the ISO a second time about a week ago. I have tried three different burns of the ISO (all using the Mac Volume version), all made with Adaptec's (aka Roxio's) Toast Deluxe 4.1.2 and a Yamaha SCSI burner from APS, and all install attempts (except the most recent one) made with the Apple CD/DVD device, a Matshita (Panasonic) SR-8182 that came with the Powerbook. The most recent install attempt, in order to verify it wasn't just some quirk with the media bay DVD device, was done on an external SCSI unit, the Matshita (Panasonic) KXL-D742.

The three burns, in order, have been: CD-R with optimized data layout, CD-RW with no alteration to data layout, and most recently, CD-R with no alternation to data layout. Along with this, I have tried both the text-based and GUI version of the BootX installer package from the ISO, and also tried the text-only package off the YDL website that supposedly installs without verifying information about the CD-ROM device.

So, every single one of these install attempts have been made booting out of MacOS 9.1, and just to be absolutely sure this was a not a MacOS 9.x issue with BootX, i installed the text-only BootX package on an 8.6 system, then booted with all possible extensions disabled (All Off in the Extensions Manager). In all cases I have gotten to the point in the install where one selects the media for the install, selected the CD/DVD option (the only one presented), and then been prompted over and over again to please insert the YDL 2.0 CD. in all cases, the CD has been in the drive, spun up and ready to go.

I have spent countless hours wracking my brains over this, and have come no further. This was never an issue with YDL 1.2 or 1.2.1, both of which installed quite happily, and have been my primary experience with Linux for the past year or so. The only thing that's changed since I installed YDL 1.2.1 is that I upgraded my machine from the original 300Mhz G3 to a 466Mhz G3 with the PowerLogix Blue Chip upgrade.

I dislike the clunkiness of LinuxPPC, and don't care to dive into the foreign world of non-Red Hat distros right now. Has anyone else had similar issues with the ISO? Any clues as to what might be going on here? Sorry to be to verbose, but I want to make sure I provide as many details as could be pertinent.

Thanks,

Mike Carlson