Re: to 2.4 tree or not to 2.4 tree

Subject: Re: to 2.4 tree or not to 2.4 tree
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 22:16:40 MDT

Nick Shaff's bits of Sun, 22 Jul 2001 translated to:

>Could you explain to me how you got it working with the silver? the only

Hopefully I remember all the steps correctly. What follows is what I used
for a DHCP based connection with a software airport base station.

1. Edit /etc/pcmcia/config.opts and set

     include memory 0x80000000-0x80ffffff
     include port 0x1000-0x1fff

   I have since been told that the second line should be 0x100-0x1ff, but
   what I list above is working.

2. Edit /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts and remove the section the comments say
   to remove. I then added something like

     home,*,*,00:60:1D:*|home,*,*,00:02:2D:*)
         INFO="Wavelan IEEE (HomeWireless Network)"
         ESSID="HomeWireless"
         MODE="Ad-Hoc"
         ;;

   The section where I added this was already partially defined with a
   comment referring to the Orinoco.

3. Edit (create?) /etc/pcmcia/network.opts. I then added

    home,*,*,*)
      INFO="WaveLan IEEE"
      DHCP="Y"
      DHCP_HOSTNAME=`hostname`
      ;;

4. Edit /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia and set PCIC=i82365

5. Create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 with something like

     NAME=freyr
     DEVICE=eth1
     BOOTPROTO=dhcp
     ONBOOT=yes
     DNS1=192.168.64.113
     DNS2=

6. Set the SCHEME environment variable to the id specified in the config
   files (i.e. home).

7. Do /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start and watch the log file to see if
   anything interesting happens. Depending on what other networking you
   have set up, you might need to remove a previous default route from
   the routing table.

If you haven't already done so, you should also take a look at Paul Lucas'
wireless page (homepage.mac.com/pauljlucas/personal/powerbook/wireless.html)
With the new YDL distribution and stock 2.2.19 kernel I didn't need to build
a custom kernel or add any software as he describes, but I did derive most
of my configuration settings from the information he provides.

>difference I know of between the gold and silver is that Apple's Airport
>software works with the gold and doesnt with the silver (I think). Not sure

Actually it does work with the Silver. That is what I am using on the Mac
OS side.

Jim