Re: Airport and YDL

Subject: Re: Airport and YDL
From: John Canning (john@pcc.com )
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 22:32:21 MDT

On Mon Jul 23 00:20:35 2001 Thomas Leonard wrote:

> How can I tell weather or not it sees the basestation?

When you use a TCP/IP network, you can use the command ifconfig to
see the available ports on your system and whether or not they
are functioning (up or down).

With an Airport connection to the network, you use the iwconfig
(/sbin/iwconfig) command in its place. I do not have access to
my linux notes or a YDL machine at the moment, so you will have
to play around with iwconfig on your own to figure out the command
options.

In any case, when you run iwconfig, it will display a brief paragraph
about your Airport card. If your machine has been configured properly
to connect to an airport network, you will see the name of the network
in that paragraph. Similarly, if the network is encrypted, you will see
the key that you have entered.

Assuming that all of what iwconfig returns is correct, you can then
use ping to test if your computer can talk to the base station. To
run ping, just type: ping ip_address

John