Re: Airport and YDL

Subject: Re: Airport and YDL
From: Thomas Leonard (ike6116@mac.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 00:43:02 MDT

> On Mon Jul 23 00:20:35 2001 Thomas Leonard wrote:
>>
>> How can I tell weather or not it sees the basestation?
>
> When you use a TCP/IP network, you can use the command ifconfig to
> see the available ports on your system and whether or not they
> are functioning (up or down).
>
> With an Airport connection to the network, you use the iwconfig
> (/sbin/iwconfig) command in its place. I do not have access to
> my linux notes or a YDL machine at the moment, so you will have
> to play around with iwconfig on your own to figure out the command
> options.
>
> In any case, when you run iwconfig, it will display a brief paragraph
> about your Airport card. If your machine has been configured properly
> to connect to an airport network, you will see the name of the network
> in that paragraph. Similarly, if the network is encrypted, you will see
> the key that you have entered.
>
> Assuming that all of what iwconfig returns is correct, you can then
> use ping to test if your computer can talk to the base station. To
> run ping, just type: ping ip_address

This is something that pisses me off, It sees my network, but it wont use
it! I even connected it in MacOS and booted linux, tried Gaim and Netscape,
nothing, picked up the phone, there it was modem tone. Damn it! This is
getting old. I want to get Linux on the internet but I cant even use my
frickin' modem!

--
Thomas James Leonard
ike6116@mac.com