Re: Kernel 2.4.4 on old world machine

Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4.4 on old world machine
From: Donovan Warren (aramis_@Bacil.DYNDNS.ORG)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 18:18:39 MDT

From what I remember, you have to make a copy of the vmlinux-2.4.4-whatever
kernel from /boot and put it in the Linux Kernels folder in the System Folder
of your boot hard drive(s). Several people have suggested various ways to
accomplish this, and the easiest is to

1) have an HFS partition as your boot disk (not HFS+), mount it, and cp
/boot/vmlinux-2.4.4.whatever to your HFS disk, in System Folder:Linux
Kernels; or

2) have a ZIP disk partitioned as HFS, and use the format above; then boot
into Mac OS and copy the vmlinux-2.4.4-whatever into your System Folder:Linux
Kernels. This works if your boot disk is HFS+ and you can't, or don't want
to, reformat. It does require a working ZIP drive :-)

Failing that, there is supposed to be a link to the vmlinux-2.4.4 kernel on
YDL's website, but I can't find it. It might be worth looking for (it may
have been posted since I last looked).