Re: to 2.4 tree or not to 2.4 tree

Subject: Re: to 2.4 tree or not to 2.4 tree
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 02:13:38 MDT

on 24/7/01 1:55 am, Patrick Callahan at pac1@tiac.net wrote:

> Now what does one do first after downloading 22mb via 28,800 again?
>
> -pat on a Blue G3 rev1 no special hardware...

You need to configure the kernel ...

- cd to the kernel directory
- make menuconfig

... set configuration options. I don't know whether the kernel source that
ships with YDL is shipped preconfigured. If it is, you could:

- start from the old kernel directory
- make menuconfig
- use the menuconfig option to save the kernel configuration to a file
- cd to the new kernel directory
- make menuconfig
- use the menuconfig option to load the kernel options you just saved

There are some options that will be specific to your hardware, you just need
to work through them removing things that clearly aren't relevant (eg SCSI
support on a Mac with no SCSI etc.). Then:

- make dep
- make
- make modules
- make modules_install (as root)

... and that should be your new kernel (vmlinux) and System.map

  Iain