Re: to 2.4 tree or not to 2.4 tree

Subject: Re: to 2.4 tree or not to 2.4 tree
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 01:39:41 MDT

Paul J. Lucas's bits of Tue, 24 Jul 2001 translated to:

>On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Jim Cole wrote:
>
>> MODE="Ad-Hoc"
>> ;;
>
> Are you sure that's Ad-Hoc? If so, out of curiosity, wy are you
> running ad-hoc at home? Most people run managed (i.e., with a
> base station).

Yes, it is Ad-Hoc. I don't have a real base station and am instead using
Software Basestation running on a G4. It was not clear to me how to
configure for managed with Software Basestation. Or I should say, my
attempts to configure that way didn't lead to a functional connection. On
the other hand, Ad-Hoc seems to work fine, so that is what I am using for
the time being. You can read that as me being thus far too lazy to pursue
the issue.

>> 5. Create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 with something like
>>

> Why did you do that? I didn't do that in my config.

This was the last step. After all of the other configuration, an attempt
to establish a connection resulted in failure with a log message referring
to eth1 interface. I don't recall the exact message, but the implication
was that the ifcfg-eth1 file was expected to be present.

Jim