Re: YDL Instaltion Woes

Subject: Re: YDL Instaltion Woes
From: Bruce Thompson (Bruce.Thompson@corp.palm.com)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 14:45:38 MDT

Hi,
     I used to subscribe to the Linux kernel mailing list, now get my
updates weekly from the weekly summary on the Kernel Cousins web site.

>From the Kernel Traffic summary #121:
>
>Elsewhere, Alan Cox replied to the original report, pointing out:
>
> Linus 2.4.0 notes are quite clear that
>you need at least twice RAM of swap with 2.4.
>
> Marcelo is working to change that but
>right now you are running something explicitly explained as
> not going to work as you want

     Frankly I do not know which notes Alan is referring to, by I did
recall this statement and others from Linus stating that there is a
current requirement for 2*RAM as swap under 2.4.X and that this was
being worked on though not yet completed.

        Cheers,
        Bruce.

At 18:50 +0000 7/25/01, linux@demian.shacknet.nu wrote:
>I've also been running 2.4.x kernels with 256 MB of RAM and only
>64MB of swap! Where is this info from? The kernel doesn't seem to
>care.
>
>christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca writes:
>>On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Bruce Thompson wrote:
>>> More to the point, the 2.4 series of the kernel _require_ a minimum
>>>of twice RAM allocated as SWAP. There has been some talk on the kernel
>>>mailing list of removing this requirement I believe, but the requirement
>>>is real for now. It's a good rule of thumb anyway.
>>
>> Where did you read this? I have a machine running BenH's 2.4.6pre7 kernel
>>right now that has 512MB of RAM and a 128MB swap space. So far, it has
>>been running very well, even after I had 6 machines hit it as hard as they
>>could.
>>Cheers,
>>Chris
>>--
>>Christopher Murtagh
>>Webmaster / Sysadmin
>>Web Communications Group
>>McGill University
>>Montreal, Quebec
>>Canada

Bruce Thompson		| "Pinkie! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Software Engineer		| "I think so Brain, but if they
called them Sad
Partner Engineering		|  Meals kids wouldn't buy them!"
Palm, Inc.