Re: to 2.4 tree or not to 2.4 tree

Subject: Re: to 2.4 tree or not to 2.4 tree
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 20:29:35 MDT

Paul J. Lucas's bits of Wed, 25 Jul 2001 translated to:

> A software base station *IS* a base station and it should be
> able to run in managed mode. (The hardware Airport base
> station can't tun in anything but managed.)

You are of course correct. I am still very low on the learning curve when
it comes to wireless, and at the time I set up my PowerBook I didn't know
exactly what managed and ad-hoc meant. More specifically, I thought that a
KEY setting was required for managed, and everything I tried entering for
the key caused the connection to fail.

When I exclude the KEY field, I can run in managed mode. If the software
basestation provides the "Network Equivalent Password" you refer to on
your site, I am yet to find it.

Jim