Re: Compiling rtl8139 module?/What ethernet card to buy?

Subject: Re: Compiling rtl8139 module?/What ethernet card to buy?
From: Aake Svensson (aakesve@algonet.se)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 22:45:07 MDT

>For those who have been having problems compiling ethernet drivers, here,
>for what it is worth, is our experience:
>
>My son and I have been trying to get the ethernet card in his SuperMac
>C500 to work with YDL 2.0. The card is a NE2000 clone (rtl8029 chip).
>After many failed attempts at compiling the driver (which we downloaded
>from the Scyld.com site, along with pci-scan.c, pci-scan.h, and
>kern_compat.h), we were finally able to get a successful compilation. The
>compile command at the end of the driver source code was this:
>
>"gcc -DMODULE -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c ne2k-pci.c
>-I/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/"
>
>That did not work. However, Donald Becker has a discussion on problems
>compiling driver source code for Red Hat 7.0 configurations. Since, as I
>understand it, YDL 2.0 is based on that distribution, I added the
>following statement to the compile command as recommended by D. Becker:
>
>"-I/usr/src/linux/include"
>
>At that point, the driver compiled and, upon rebooting, ethernet (eth0)
>was successfully initialized. We are new at this, so I can't really
>explain why it worked or what is going on.
>
>Unfortunately, that has not solved the problem, since we still can not
>make a network connection (yes, all the config files are correct). A
>statement at the end of the dmesg log says something about "PCI BIOS has
>not enabled ethernet adapter". We don't know what that means. At this
>point, we have suspended all efforts at getting the card to work. Anyone
>have any ideas on this?
>
>Thanks.
>
>James Membrez
>Adrian Membrez

Congratulations for a succesful compilation! You got a bit further
than me in the process, I gave up with missing members/header files
after the Nth time. Seems to me though, that the files pci-scan.h,
kern_compat.h might be PC/Intel specific. It's just a hunch but it
might explain the error message you got. Have you tried 'ifconfig
eth0'. That should tell you if the card is seen at all. If so, you'll
get a message with the cards internal adress and more. Otherwise I
presume you have edited your modules.conf (or was it conf.modules?)
-file with the line 'alias eth0 ne2k-pci.o'?

I will try the '-I' command you used along with the one I used and
see if I can get any further with my compilation.

Thanks and good luck,

Åke Svensson