no more processes

Subject: no more processes
From: Black (cpa@ece.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 23:12:33 MDT

Okay, I have a weird programming question. I'd post it to a programming
list (and may still do), but so far I've only seen this on my machine
running YD.

I have a program that is heavily multi-threaded (I use pthreads). The
first question is actually about top. If I use top on any other *nix
machine, I see one instantiation of my program in top. On this machine, I
get a lot more (maybe even one per thread?). Why is this? Is this some
strange flag on top that I don't know about?

The second, and by far more serious problem is that there seems to be a
cap on the number of threads that I can run. If I get up past 300 or so,
the program just does nothing. I can watch the load monitor and it does do
anything at all. If I try to execute any command (even to kill it) I get a
meaage that says 'no more processes', and then it doesn't do anything.
I've never seen this behavior before.

Has anyone seen this before? It almost looks like the thread library is
weird and it is spawning full processes rather than little light weight
threads. Of course, I don't know if that is even possible. Anyway, if
anyone has seen this before, or has some advice, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Christopher