Re: no more processes

Subject: Re: no more processes
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 03:01:22 MDT

Black's bits of Fri, 27 Jul 2001 translated to:

>Has anyone seen this before? It almost looks like the thread library is
>weird and it is spawning full processes rather than little light weight
>threads. Of course, I don't know if that is even possible. Anyway, if
>anyone has seen this before, or has some advice, i'd really appreciate it.

Hi - This is normal for Linux. The manner in which threading is implemented
blurs the notion of threads and processes a bit. Threads are created by way
of cloning (man clone) rather than forking. This results in a child process,
but one that shares part of its execution context with its parent.

As for the limit you are running into, it is probably due to the default
limit on the maximum number of processes. You should be able to adjust this
limit with 'ulimit' or 'limit' depending on the shell you are using.

Jim