YDL2 - Screen goes blank after boot prompt w/ 17" ASD.

Subject: YDL2 - Screen goes blank after boot prompt w/ 17" ASD.
From: Jacob Lambert (jacobl@metgames.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 07:50:45 MDT

First the hardware specs;
Dual G4/500
512 MB RAM 2x256
30GB HDD
ATI Rage 128-Pro
Apple Studio Display 17" (CRT w/ ADC)

I began by trying to boot off the YDL 2.0 CD but didn't get very far. The
display goes black after the yaboot prompt. To install I had to do a
"install video=aty128fb:vmode:20" at the yaboot prompt. After that the
install went well and I got everything configured. However when I rebooted,
the display went black again. I did a "linux video=aty128fb:vmode:20" but
that didn't help either. I tried a few other 'video=' settings all to no
avial.

So, I reinstalled and configured a text-only login. I still had to do the
the 'video=' thing at the boot prompt, but at least now I can get logged in.
I ran Xconfigurator to try some different settings but that didn't solve the
problem. (screen still goes black when XF86 starts)

Any ideas as to how I can fix this?

Also, can anybody point me to a HOWTO or similar for recompiling my kernel
for SMP support. I'm a virgin when it comes to kernel tweaking. ;-) (I
wonder if YDL 2.0 even supports SMP???)

Thanks in advance!

-jacob

tharant@metgames.com