Re: Getting Wu-ftp running

Subject: Re: Getting Wu-ftp running
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 17:43:47 MDT

on 7/28/01 4:30 PM, Rob Brandt at rbrandt@sbdsl.com wrote:

> I'm not sure where to look for on the Kerberos-ftp issue. I've done some
> snooping around in webmin, and I don't see anything identifiable as ftp,
> wu-ftp, or kerberos listed under 'running processes', although I'm certain
> wu-ftp is currently running. Under xinetd, I do see *two* listings for ftp
> on port 21 using /usr/sbin/in.ftpd. They are marked as YES under
> "Enabled?". Nothing else is enabled except pop3. Under inetd I see
> entries for ftp, ftp-data and kerberos, but I should point out that I don't
> see inetd listed as something being started when linux boots. Does that
> mean it's not being used? I assume so, and that instead it is using xinetd
> which DOES load at bootup.

Try logging into it via terminal : ftp mydomain.com

You should see a message like this : 220 ns1 FTP server (Version wu-2.6.1(1)
Sun Apr 29 15:25:40 MDT 2001) ready.:::

If you are running the Wu. If you don't then you are aren't.

next off - you are right about two ftp's - but instead look under webmin's
Servers/Extended services and look up the ftp services - you will see two -
one is kerberos-ftpd - turn it off.
 xinetid starts ftpd when it is called for - it only runs when someone taps
on port 21. It does not run in standalone mode.

 Robert Brandtjen
 Web Site Creation and Hosting Services
 Hostmaster@prometheusmedia.com
 www.prometheusmedia.com