Re: Booting Linux on new-world machines

Subject: Re: Booting Linux on new-world machines
From: Andrei Verovski (andrei.verovski@parks.lv)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 05:28:39 MDT

>Hi,
>
>I have installed YDL 2.0 and everything works just fine. But after
>installing it, I booted Mac OS 9.1 and using the Startup Disk control panel
>selected the Mac OS 9.1 disk as startup disk. Since the yaboot partition is
>not visible from Startup Disk I am now unable to select this again. Anyone
>got a solution to that?
>
>-Peter

1) Hold down the command+alt+o+f keys on startup, this will drop you into
OpenFirmware. Modify OF variable "boot-device" accordingly.

or boot directly from OF: boot
ultra0:your_HFS_boot_partition_number,\path to yaboot\yaboot

2) Use fake System Folder (you can take it from SuSE Linux), so you can
select your HFS boot partition from "Startup Disk" control panel.

3) Use LILO PPC (also available from SuSE Linux ftp), it will update your
os-chooser, yaboot.conf and Open Firmware.

PS. Some info regarding dual booting available on my web site (Linux Tips
& Tricks).

* Best Regards --- Andrei Verovski *
* e-mail --- andrei.verovski@bigfoot.com *
* *
* Personal Home Page *
* http://homepage.mac.com/macgurutemple/ *
* Mac, Linux, DTP, Development, IT WEB Site *