Booting From hdd on G4

Subject: Booting From hdd on G4
From: ABrady (kcsmart@kc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 10:22:07 MDT

I'm a PC guy who is trying to install linux for his wife. She already
has 2 drives for MacOS and a DVD drive. I took the liberty of adding
another drive where the ZIP drive would ordinarily go. I've managed to
get YDL installed, but it will only write the bootloader to hdd2 (the
third drive) and that one refuses to be found as a boot device during
bootup. I looked at the Apple Startup disk control panel or whatever
it's called and it refuses to recognize the drive without a startup
folder.

Obviously I either overlooked something in the install instructions, or
I'm not versed enough in how MACs work, or I'm a dimwit. I'll accept any
or any combination as a valid reason for this dilemma.

How can I overcome this? Would it help to add a SCSI drive (I have a
couple of small ones) to boot from? If I partition a small drive and add
a startup folder to it, can I get it to work? If I repartition the
current non-booting drive (with linux on it) and add a startup folder,
will that do the trick? How much space would be needed for the MAC stuff
if the last answer is yes?

As you can see, many questions and I'm not experienced enough with MACs
to take too many chances with all of her work sitting precariously close
to being partitioned out of existence.

Linux itself is already a known quantity with me, as I've been using it
for a few years.

Thanks for any help given.

--
The computer revolution is over. The computers won.