FW: Real User Can't Login - Anonymous works and Telnet works

Subject: FW: Real User Can't Login - Anonymous works and Telnet works
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 12:24:38 MDT

 Robert Brandtjen
 --------------------------------------
 Web Site Creation and Hosting Services
 Hostmaster@prometheusmedia.com
 www.prometheusmedia.com

------ Forwarded Message
From: Gregory A Lundberg <lundberg+wuftpd@vr.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 11:53:53 -0400
To: Robert Brandtjen <rob@prometheusmedia.com>
Cc: Carey Foushee <cfoushee@cordernet.com>, wuftpd-questions@wu-ftpd.org

> My problem is, is that while trying to follow Greg's HOWTO for it in the
> FAQ, I cannot find the areas in the ftpd.c file he recommends changing.

I don't recommend changing any parts of ftpd.c.

If a user has problems logging in, the system log will explain why. The
only non-specific login failure message is when the username/password
cannot be authenticated (either when the name does not exist, or the
password is incorrect).

On Redhat systems, the daemon is usually built for PAM support. If you do
not have the PAM configuration for FTP, no user can be authenticated; only
anonymous users will be able to log in. Check this if the system log does
not indicate a specific problem (like not in any class, in denied-uid,
etc.)

--

Gregory A Lundberg WU-FTPD Development Group 1441 Elmdale Drive lundberg@wu-ftpd.org Kettering, OH 45409-1615 USA 1-800-809-2195

------ End of Forwarded Message