Re: upgrading kernels [was: Re: Waking up a Pismo PowerBook?]

Subject: Re: upgrading kernels [was: Re: Waking up a Pismo PowerBook?]
From: ABrady (kcsmart@kc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 20:35:06 MDT

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:54:03 -0700 Scott Frankel <leknarf@pacbell.net>
imparted to us:

> What's the best way to upgrade a kernel without hoarking the rest
> of my Linux partition(s)?
>
> The only install I've done so far required a complete disk reformat.
> I'd like to wait a while before I do that again ;)

Get the new kernel, 'rpm -i <kernelname>' and put a stanza in.....well,
I don't know that part. I just installed YDL for the first time last
night (for my wife) and I know it doesn't use lilo. But, I've been doing
it for 3~4 years on X86 machines. Whatever YDL uses (I'd also like to
know that if anyone cares to answer) would need lines in it similar to
what is already there, only pointing to the new kernel.

--
Plagiarism saves time.