Corrupt core files

Subject: Corrupt core files
From: Black (cpa@ece.cmu.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 14:53:17 MDT

I've been noticing that when I segfault, my core files are corrupt. I even
wrote a little stupid program to check this:

void main(){
        int * bad;

        bad = 0;
        *bad = 0;
}

I compiled it with -ggdb, it dumps its core, but I can't read it. Anyone
know of some library or something in the 2.0 install that might be causing
this? I've poked around all over the web and I can't find any data on what
can cause a core file to be corrupt. I even checked the limit/ulimit on
core file sizes, and that is set to unlimited, so I can't think what it
could be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Christopher