Re: FTP & TELNET

Subject: Re: FTP & TELNET
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 15:16:40 MDT

on 7/31/01 3:38 PM, Jeremy Parsons at jparsons@buckeye-express.com wrote:

> I wanted the Daemon. When i try to connect to my box via ftp or telnet i get
> ' connection refused '. You mentioned how to get ftpd running, how about
> telnetd?

If you open the file in a text editor ( file located in /etc/xinetd/) you
will see it has a switch at the top - # default: on/off

I would not recommend enabling telnet, use ssh instead ­ telnet has massive
holes in it.

For using ssh, type man ssh and man sshd
It will tell you how to make pub/private keys ­ the ssh daemon should have
already upon first boot ­ mine did.

 Robert Brandtjen
 Web Site Creation and Hosting Services
 Hostmaster@prometheusmedia.com