Re: Yaboot no longer gives OS choice at boot

Subject: Re: Yaboot no longer gives OS choice at boot
From: John Canning (john@pcc.com )
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 22:47:48 MDT

On Wed Aug 1 00:31:02 2001 Merrill Aldrich wrote:

> I have a new cube, OS 9 and YDL 2. I installed from the CD and Linux ran
> wonderfully...once. Now when I boot the computer, I no longer get the
> screen with the choice of operating systems -- it just goes straight
> into Mac OS 9. I'd like the Mac to be the default, but I'd obviously
> like to be able to choose Linux as well ;-)
>
> I'm sure there's an easy fix - can someone point me in the right
> direction?

First, you can boot into Open Firmware by holding down the
option-command-O-F keys while the system is rebooting.

Once in Open Firmware, you can issue the boot command to tell
it to boot from a specific partition on one of your hard drives.

You can also use the setenv command to make Open Firmware boot
from a specific parition every time your system reboots. That
will work until you change the "Startup Device" under Mac OS X;
for some reason, this command reprograms Open Firmware's memory.

In a moment, I will list the commands I use for my PowerBook (pismo).
Since you have a cube, your drive partitioning may be a bit different
(you can always boot from your YDL CD and use the df command to
figure out how your Linux drives are numbered).

Here goes:

    To boot yaboot, which is installed on partition 10 of my
    internal hard drive, I issue the command:

            boot hd:10,yaboot

    To reset my boot device so that my PowerBook will always
    boot with yaboot, I usse the commands:

        setenv boot-device hd:10,ofboot.b
        reset-all

You can learn lots more about Open Firmware by visiting Apple's
Tech Info Library.

John