Re: More questions on Xpmac.special

Subject: Re: More questions on Xpmac.special
From: M.A.M. van Steensel (mvanstee@baserv.uci.kun.nl)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 03:16:03 MDT

> What do you mean by passing the server to startx? Should I disable
> XF86_FBDev by trashing it? Or change my init script to 5 instead of 3?
> I'm using the most recent stable kernel from Paul's tree (with some USB
> hangs), 2.2.15p19. This kernel has Ben's patches from pre14 in it too.

You don't have to thrash XF86_FBDev.
From ye olde man pages

SYNOPSIS
       startx [ [ client ] options ... ] [ -- [ server ] options
       ... ]

       Check if there's something like an .xserverrc in you home dir or a
<XRoot>/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc where XRoot is the root of the X11 tree.

If there's a pointer to XF86_FBDev there then you should try and startx
explicitly using the Xpmac server. If there isn't you should log the output of
the startx command and send it to the list - so we can see what the server says.
(like, startx 2>&1 >x-log). You can also just start X by typing "X" and see what
happens.
For the FB_Dev to work properly you should upgrade X to 4.0.

The most recent kernel is 2.2.15pre20, by the way, ad gets rid of most USB
probs.

Maurice