X "misbehaves" at any colordepth other than 8. Please help!

Subject: X "misbehaves" at any colordepth other than 8. Please help!
From: Jeff Meininger (jeffm@boxybutgood.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 13:10:45 MDT

I have a PoserComputing PowerWave 604/132 with the standard ATI card with
2 megs VRAM.

X runs very well in 8 bpp mode, but does some strange things at other
depths...

15: Doesn't crash, but mouse cursor leaves strange artifacts behind.

16: Mouse cursor leaves black-and-white-checkers (like the root window
before it gets soemthing drawn onto it) even after it gets something drawn
on it. About the time the gnome icons appear on the root window, X
crashes.

24: X dosen't crash, but the screen has strange overlapping and bizarre
video artifacts. Nearly unreadable.

32: Monitor clicks and buzzes like it's going to change modes, but then
returns to a prompt (X Crashed).

I'm using a stock install of Champion-1.2 with BootX.

I've searched the web and looked through a few month's archives, but
wasn't able to find a solution to my problem.

Thanks for your help!
-Jeff Meininger